Interim Chief Executive Officer
The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) is seeking an experienced and personable Interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to provide strong leadership during a transitional period. The Interim CEO will work closely with the Board of Governors and Executive Committee to ensure continued success of the organization, maintain strategic initiatives, and uphold AIUM’s mission and its six core staff values: express curiosity, be resourceful, collaborate first, act with integrity, demonstrate empathy, and embrace lifelong learning. The Interim CEO must be a transparent leader who can quickly establish collaborative relationships. The AIUM has a rich 70-year history, yet it is a growing organization with a focus on attracting and keeping the right team members that enhance its culture by being humble, collaborative, innovative, ambitious, and masters of execution.
AIUM is headquartered in Laurel, MD, within the greater Washington, DC, metropolitan area. Ideally, the Interim CEO will be within commuting distance of the AIUM office.
The AIUM is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit multidisciplinary medical association of physicians, sonographers, scientists, students, and other health-care providers. Its mission is to empower and cultivate a global multidisciplinary community engaged in the use of medical ultrasound through raising awareness, education, sharing information, and research. Its vision is a world where high-quality medical ultrasound is accessible to all for improved patient care.
The Interim CEO Role
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide regular updates to the Board of Governors on organizational performance and key initiatives.
- Provide strategic leadership in collaboration with the Board of Governors to ensure the continued growth and success of AIUM.
- Develop and implement short-term strategies to address immediate organizational needs.
- Oversee day-to-day operations, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in achieving organizational goals.
- Work closely with the Treasurer and staff to monitor and manage the organization’s financial health.
Primary Responsibilities of the Interim CEO
- Cultivate a work culture that is supportive, collaborative, and inclusive.
- Collaborate with department heads to optimize workflow and address any operational challenges.
- Maintain a focus on fiscal responsibility and resource allocation. Ensure the development and adherence to budgets, financial controls, and reporting mechanisms.
- Lead strategy and execution plans for the annual meeting, including program development that aligns with AIUM’s mission and objectives, logistical coordination, marketing plan, budgetary oversight, and assurance of member satisfaction.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with AIUM members, industry partners, and other stakeholders.
- As requested by the Board of Governors, represent AIUM at conferences, events, and other public forums to enhance the organization’s visibility and reputation.
- Evaluate and refine long-term strategic plans as needed to set AIUM up for future successes.
Required Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Education may vary; advanced degree in business administration, finance, or healthcare is preferred but not required.
- Experience as a CEO or in a senior executive leadership role, preferably within a professional association or healthcare-related organization.
- Excellent managerial and financial skills and the ability to quickly understand and take leadership over any programs of the organization.
- Experience successfully planning annual meetings and implementing plans is advantageous.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a diverse team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate as a leader.
- Strong strategic planning and execution skills.
- Familiarity with the healthcare industry and ultrasound applications is advantageous.
- Candidates from historically underrepresented and marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. The AIUM is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, as well as providing a workplace of mutual respect, free of any discrimination or harassment. AIUM seeks to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume (Microsoft Word® format preferred) here. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
Sterling Martin Associates is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, political affiliation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.