Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to the Association for Materials Protection and Performance’s (AMPP) Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) plays a vital role in the success of this international organization that has annual revenues of approximately $47M, as well as its impact on the profession and industries it serves. The CEO serves as a non-voting member of both Board of Directors as well as serving on the Executive Committee of two Boards, the 501(c)(6) Board and the 501(c)(3) Board. As the chief staff executive, the CEO is the principal advocate for AMPP’s staff of 188 employees who are dispersed worldwide. The CEO also has primary responsibility for leading AMPP’s successful and efficient global operations from headquarters in either Houston, TX, or Pittsburgh, PA.
AMPP is the largest global community of professionals dedicated to materials protection through the advancement of corrosion control and protective coatings. Its members are protective coatings and materials performance professionals who are dedicated to advancing technical and practical expertise in corrosion prevention and control. Whether they are contractors, technicians, inspectors, engineers, researchers, policymakers, or academics, members look to AMPP for the knowledge and resources to ensure high-performance materials are used to build and maintain sustainable infrastructure. AMPP offers opportunities for education, personnel and company credentialing, technical innovation, and global standardization that help members preserve infrastructure and assets worldwide. AMPP also works on behalf of its members to inform policymakers and advance government policies that protect critical assets, increase public safety, and protect the environment.
In January of 2021, NACE International (National Association of Corrosion Engineers) and SSPC (Society for Protective Coatings) merged to form AMPP, joining forces to strengthen their work by merging more than 145 combined years of materials protection and performance expertise. Today with offices in Houston, Texas; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Canada; the United Kingdom; China; Malaysia; Brazil; Saudi Arabia; and Dubai (training center), AMPP is active in over 130 countries and has more than 32,000 members and 90 chapters.
The AMPP organization is comprised of two entities: a 501(c)(6) (AMPP) and 501(c)(3) (AMPP Global Center), each with its own Board of Directors. The 501(c)(6) is the legal parent organization, but in practice, the organizations are equal in stature and authority. Each Board is responsible for the activities of various Board Committees, and they jointly oversee committees like the Nominating Committee, Finance and Audit, and Ethics.
The CEO Role
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with both Boards of Directors and staff leadership to develop, plan, and implement the strategic plan ensuring clarity of priorities and goals across the Association.
- Serve as a key internal and external spokesperson for the organization, communicating in an effective and professional manner with the membership, staff, media and the public to advance the global mission and strategic initiatives of the organization, promote a positive corporate image and foster cooperation.
- Provide international leadership in developing and improving relationships with relevant partner organizations that align with the Association’s mission and strategic direction.
- Partner with the Boards to implement governance policies and processes that are based on best practices.
- Ensure that both Boards of Directors are kept fully informed of the condition of the organization and all-important factors that influence it.
- Collaborate with the Boards, member committees and staff to develop and successfully execute the Association’s products, programs and services.
- Champion the organizational culture such that it aligns with the mission and values of the Association, creating a positive work environment that supports staff and volunteer development, growth and satisfaction.
- Foster and encourage active volunteer leadership participation and development across all levels of the organization.
- Ensure appropriate staffing levels, performance management, talent identification and succession planning are implemented and realized.
- Hire, develop, lead and inspire staff talent to achieve the strategic goals of the organization and to successfully conduct the business of the organization.
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Minimum of ten (10) years of work experience with demonstrated success in senior leadership positions with P&L responsibility in product and operations management and all aspects of associations or organizations. Advanced degree and experience with a nonprofit membership organization led by volunteer governance is preferred.
Key to the success of the person in this position is:
- Demonstrated success managing across diverse groups of international and national stakeholders.
- Cultural intelligence and ability to lead a global organization.
- Stay abreast of trends within the association industry to inform the strategic development of plans for continuous improvement as well as structural and talent changes to meet evolving organizational needs.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, strong presentation skills, outgoing personality, self-confidence and self-motivation, strategic thinker while being attentive to detail and goal oriented.
- Keen ability to think, act and perform strategically.
- Strong entrepreneurial skills and business acumen to identify opportunities, evaluate and take calculated risks to develop new products and programs to advance the mission of the organization and increase revenue.
- An open, accessible leadership style encouraging free exchange of ideas and cross-functional innovation and collaboration.
- Expertise in volunteer management and engagement.
- Seasoned ability to communicate effectively with Board of Directors and C-level executives on staff and in industry.
- An understanding of the organization’s culture and a commitment to leading by example and holding others accountable.
- Highest degree of ethics and integrity.
Personal Qualities and Competencies
As the Chief Executive Officer is a senior leadership role, he/she should demonstrate:
- Strong executive presence
- Professional and personal confidence.
- Routine national and international travel is expected for this role.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume (Microsoft Word® format preferred) here. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
Sterling Martin Associates is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, political affiliation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.