The Valve Manufacturers Association (VMA) located in Washington, DC is conducting a search for a new President. Founded in 1938, VMA is a trade association that represents the interests of nearly 100 North American manufacturers of valves, actuators and controls. VMA member companies employ 30,000 people directly in supporting jobs. VMA has a revenue budget in the $2 million range and a staff of 11 including full time employees and contractors.
The President is the chief staff executive of the association responsible for the association’s financial stewardship, member relations, general management, programs, communications, management information services, international trade, and government relations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The President is responsible for managing and growing the association in accordance with established policies and guidelines. The overall goal is to meet or exceed the membership’s expectations and bring value to the membership, being constantly vigilant to required changes.
- The President serves as leader of VMA’s professional staff, promoting cooperation and esprit de corps. S/he is responsible for day-to-day Association operations, including budgeting, personnel administration, and office management. Reporting to the President are the Vice President, Director of Education, Meetings Manager and Bookkeeper/Database Manager. Additionally, outside consultants and vendors are indirect reports to the President.
- The President submits an annual budget to the Board of Directors, making monthly progress reports and recommendations for VMA’s programs and services. S/he is responsible for managing and meeting the budget and yearly operating plan.
- The President is responsible for all personnel actions including annual performance reviews, employee training, and salary & bonus reviews. The President reports to Board on major personnel changes.
- S/he ensures VMA operations are fiscally sound, governance is transparent, and the integrity of the association is always maintained.
- The President is responsible for overseeing member retention and recruitment of new members. To this end s/he systematically visits current member company facilities and maintains close relationships with member company executives in order to stay current on market conditions and the views of member companies on VMA programs and services. With the cooperation of the VMA Board, the President directly contacts prospective members to convey the VMA story and keep abreast of member satisfaction. S/he conducts member and ex-member interviews to gain insights on what members find valuable today and what they’d like to see in the future.
- The President has frequent contacts with the VMA Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Program Chairman, the four-member Executive Committee, the 15-member Board of Directors, as well as Chairs and members of all VMA Committees
Vision and Strategic Direction
- The President works with the Board to encourage “out of the box” thinking to improve and grow the organization. S/he is responsible for driving change for improvement.
- The President evaluates VMA’s services from a member and staff perspective. S/he reviews past participation and interviews member companies to determine how VMA services are valued and could be improved.
- S/he solicits member, non-member, Board, and staff perspectives to construct a current state assessment of the VMA to develop a vision and strategic plan for the organization to be approved by the Board of Directors.
- In cooperation with the communications team, the President supports and promotes Valve Magazine, VMA Quick Read, VMA Web Site, and the collection of periodic and special publications, videos and other material developed and produced.
- Serves as principal staff spokesperson with the media, allied trade associations, members of the general business community, and the public.
- In cooperation with all staff professionals, the President supports and promotes the conferences, seminars, trade shows, products and services created by the committees. The President is a participant in the conferences, seminars, and trade shows offered by the Association and evaluates the results of each. The President also develops new ideas for conferences, seminars, trade shows, products and services and ensures they are valuable to members.
- The President works closely with the Associate Publisher/Editor-In-Chief to be sure all VMA publications are completed and distributed on a timely basis.
- Oversee economic surveys, management information surveys and industry data and analytic services for members.
Government Relations and International Trade
- The President oversees activities relating to the U.S. Congress and federal, state, and local governments including managing the relationship with VMA’s counsel.
- The President promotes and supports member company participation in activities designed to promote valve and actuator exports. These activities include, but are not limited to, trade missions, trade shows, and meetings with foreign valve associations.
Requisite Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Ten or more years of experience as a senior executive with a volunteer-based association or other organization managing personnel in complex activities.
- Experience with nonprofit trade associations a plus
- Experience with organizations offering training, education, and certification services a plus
- Certified Association Executive (CAE) a plus
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current résumé (Microsoft Word® format preferred) to [email protected]. A well-written cover letter, outlining how your experience fits the requirements of the position, will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
VMA is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Tricia Bork Canavan| Senior Consultant