Senior Vice President of Operations and Business Development
340B Health is conducting a search for a new Senior Vice President of Operations and Business Development (SVPOBD) located in Washington, DC. This position reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer and serves on the Leadership Team of 340B Health. 340B Health is the leading trade association for hospitals that participate in the 340B drug pricing program. In that role, 340B Health serves as the leading advocate to strengthen and promote 340B’s role in supporting hospitals that serve low income populations. 340B Health also serves as the premier resource for 340B compliance, technical support, and education for its 1300+ hospital members, policymakers and the public.
340B Health is a 501 (c)(6), membership organization of more than 1,300 public and private nonprofit hospitals and health systems in the federal 340B drug pricing program. The organization has a revenue budget in the $11 million range, a staff of 28 and a 15-member Board of Directors. 340B formed in 1993 to increase the affordability and accessibility of pharmaceutical and clinical care for the nation’s poor and underserved populations. 340B Health monitors, educates, and serves as an advocate on federal legislative and regulatory issues related to drug pricing and other pharmacy matters affecting safety-net providers. Their membership consists of a broad spectrum of hospitals, including academic medical centers, community hospitals, children’s hospitals, and rural facilities. Sterling Martin Associates has been retained to assist with this search. For more information on 340B Health, please visit https://www.340bhealth.org.
Senior Vice President of Operations and Business Development
The SVPOBD will manage a total staff of ten with four direct reports. S/he will be responsible for leading the business and general operations of 340B as well as for overseeing non-dues revenue generation. S/he will lead the membership team, corporate partner team, IT team, and conference operations, as well as other events. S/he will also develop new business ventures for the associations. The SVPOBD will oversee external partnerships, membership and events. S/he will work in partnership with the executive team of 340B to help develop budgets and achieve organizational targets.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Maintain efficient and effective business operations:
- Review and analyze financial reports, metrics, and annual goals on a regular basis to develop performance metrics for existing business initiatives to assess sustainability, revenue enhancement, and performance review.
- Ensure technology systems and infrastructure successfully support the organization’s data and processing needs, provide data management for member requests, protect vital information, and provide metrics and knowledge to management.
Oversee dues and non-dues business development activities:
- Develop and implement new business initiatives including evaluation, execution, and post assessment to grow the association revenue.
- Participate in membership and recruitment activities
- Develop performance metrics for new and existing business initiatives to assess growth potential and sustainability.
- Collaborate with the CEO to assist with management of the board of directors and other subcommittees.
- Provide guidance and support to the leadership team in maintenance, monitoring, and tracking of the three-year strategic plan.
- Provide guidance and support to the leadership team in developing one-year annual plans and subsequent maintenance, monitoring, and tracking of progress.
- Provide guidance and support to the leadership team in preparing for and administering the leadership meetings and retreats.
Serve as an executive leader in the office helping to develop a lasting and productive organization:
- Provide supervision for assigned staff, including providing feedback and professional development oversight.
- Work with the SVP of Finance and Administration to institute metrics to drive business decisions using the budget and other tools.
- Participate in networking and relationship activities to serve as a liaison with stakeholders and members.
- Occasionally serve as a spokesperson regarding membership needs at local, regional, and national venues.
- Serve as a liaison to other pharmacy/healthcare organizations to support the mission of the association, as needed
- Attend two annual national conferences.
Ideal Background & Experience | Qualities & Characteristics
Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
A minimum of fifteen years of senior-level management experience, ideally in a trade association environment. Healthcare related experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of organizational operations such as technology systems, human resources, financial and budgetary matters governance, membership and revenue generation.
- Association experience.
- Management of teams greater than ten.
Additional skills, knowledge and abilities required:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- A high degree of initiative and good judgment is required to seek out information needed to complete assignments and work well with limited supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including, tact, diplomacy, and good conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to interact with professionalism and leadership with a wide variety of professionals at all levels.
- Excellent organizational skills with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail are required.
- A high degree of flexibility and cooperation with the ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously to consistently meet deadlines.
- Excellent financial management/project management/program development skills.
- Strong customer service orientation and human resource management skills.
- Strong business understanding of systems required to support an association.
- Strong skills in all MS Office applications are required.
Other Pertinent Information:
- Some travel required, primarily to association meetings and conferences.
- Occasional evening activities to engage with membership, stakeholders, and other key leaders.
Compensation & Benefits | Availability
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume (Microsoft Word® format preferred) to [email protected]. A well-written cover letter, outlining how your experience fits the requirements of the position, will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
340B Health is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Katherine Carter| Senior Executive Recruiter
Karen Lombardo | Senior Associate