Director of Marketing & Communications
The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery (ABFAS), located in San Francisco, CA, is conducting a search for its Director of Marketing and Communications. This Director can be based either virtually anywhere in the U.S. or work from the San Francisco offices. Founded in 1975, ABFAS works to protect and improve the health and welfare of the public by advancing the art and science of podiatric (foot and ankle) surgery. ABFAS facilitates the board certification process, from preparing and supporting candidates for certification to helping members maintain their certification. It has a staff of about 20 and a $6.8M operating budget.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will report to the ABFAS Executive Director and will be charged with taking the organization’s digital and online offerings in new strategic directions. As a member of the leadership team, the Director will make a significant impact on the organization by bringing a more strategic and proactive approach to developing awareness of ABFAS. The Director will oversee development and implementation of highly targeted marketing communications programs that further enhance the credibility of certification. The Director will have a good deal of freedom in making this impact; for example, creating new communication channels and/or exploring new approaches.
The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery strives to protect and improve the health and welfare of the public by advancing the art and science of foot and ankle surgery. To accomplish this goal, ABFAS grants certification status to candidates who successfully meet the guidelines for demonstrating competency and proficiency in the art and science of foot and ankle surgery.
ABFAS focuses on two main objectives:
Prepare and Support Candidates
- Encourage attainment, through formal training programs, of skills required for the successful practice of the art and science of foot and ankle surgery.
- Verify that candidates are qualified to enter the ABFAS certification process.
Serve Our Members
- Process applications for certification of legally licensed, actively practicing foot and ankle surgeons to ascertain candidates’ competency in the art and science of foot and ankle surgery.
- Grant certification status to candidates who have successfully met the guidelines for demonstrating competency and proficiency in the art and science of foot and ankle surgery.
The Director of Marketing & Communications Role
The Director of Marketing and Communications will manage the content and design of the website, social media outlets, and digital and print communications. This will include leading operations and strategy for ABFAS’ online presence, with a major focus on creating a user-friendly, informative, and engaging website experience.
ABFAS will look to the Director to bring a thoughtful and proactive approach to the function, including: assessing the website to see what might need to be added or changed; increasing the organization’s visibility, such as creating multiple e-newsletters targeted at different stages in the certification process; aligning the editorial calendar with testing and other important events; and leveraging member surveys of more than 7,000 ABFAS Board Certified podiatrists to identify member benefits and tools that could be enhanced or developed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute against a strategy to promote the ABFAS brand among key audiences.
- Manage content and operations of ABFAS digital marketing channels, including website and social media pages.
- Oversee advertising opportunities for the organization from creative development and design to placement.
- Develop brand materials, core messaging, and, in close collaboration with the IT team and Communications Committee of the Board of Directors, other communications services and tools for ABFAS members and customers.
- Coordinate the Communications Committee, including scheduling meetings and assisting the Chair as necessary.
- Oversee development and publication of the annual print newsletter and several other digital newsletters.
- Manage relationships with external vendors, such as the firm that provides technical support for the website and graphic designers.
Individuals looking for a position in which they can delegate tasks to a team will not be suited to this role. Because ABFAS is a smaller organization, everyone is a hands-on contributor. The Director will need to be comfortable switching between strategic and tactical roles on a daily basis.
Note: This description is intended to give a general overview of the position. It is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Qualities
- A bachelor’s degree relevant to communications or journalism.
- Five or more years of experience in communications strategy, marketing communications, digital marketing strategy, content management, and program implementation.
- A demonstrated ability to analyze audience needs and shape marketing and communications strategies to meet those needs and map to organizational goals.
- Excellent writing skills and an appreciation of the importance of consistent, clear communication. Experience writing for social media platforms, newsletters, websites, and other platforms.
- Experience using communication tools and content marketing to elevate a brand. Familiarity with the health-care space a plus.
- A proven ability to manage multiple priorities and consistently meet deadlines.
- A proactive, client-focused mindset that can identify new ways to reach members. A commitment to customer service, both internally and externally.
- A flexible, enthusiastic, efficient, and diplomatic self-starter. Able to work both independently and as part of a small team.
- Basic skills in HTML, as well as an understanding of content management systems and their interaction with databases.
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office, Adobe Photoshop or similar, web applications, and digital platform technologies.
In addition to a competitive salary, ABFAS offers comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance that is 100% paid for the employee; a 401(k) with employer match; and an annual “profit sharing” contribution.
The ABFAS team is results-oriented and mission-driven, and its members enjoy working together in a positive, collaborative atmosphere. Staff members value work-life balance, including following a 35-hour work week.
ABFAS is open to remote work arrangements, and highly qualified candidates can live anywhere in the U.S. The organization does routinely hold staff team and Board meetings in the San Francisco headquarters, necessitating travel to the area.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume (Microsoft Word® format preferred) here. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
ABFAS and Sterling Martin Associates are committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, political affiliation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.