VP of Membership Development
Connex, the authority on retail and multi-site facilities management, is conducting a search for its Vice President of Membership Development. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Vice President of Membership Development will be responsible for achieving the association’s goals to increase net membership growth across Connex vertical markets. The incumbent will represent the entire range of Connex’s products and services, while managing the customer account planning cycle and ensuring member needs and expectations are met.
The Connex VP of Membership Development will coordinate membership marketing efforts, sell the value of membership to existing members, track membership data, and solicit prospective members. Over time, the individual will help Connex grow a national team of sales professionals. The role includes up to 50% travel within North America. Connex prefers that the individual be based in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but other locations will be considered.
Connex: An Overview
Connex (formerly known as the Professional Retail Store Maintenance Association) is the leading membership organization for facility managers and supplier professionals. Established in 1995, the Connex community values are founded on a spirit of innovation, resourcefulness, the quest for knowledge, and ethical business relationships. Members depend on Connex to help them achieve greater success and a competitive advantage through quality programs and resources.
Connex is headquartered in Irving, TX. It employs 20 staff and has a budget in the $6M range.
About Connex’s Members
Connex has approximately 950 member companies. It welcomes multi-site facilities management companies, as well as supplier companies, from the United States, Canada, and around the globe.
About Connex’s Work
Connex empowers facilities management professionals with best practices, benchmarking, education, discussion forums and trusted partnerships. The association helps its supplier members build relationships and network with a dynamic and trusted member community.
Structure of Connex
The VP Of Membership Development Role
The VP of Membership Development will support Connex as it re-establishes a team that was in place prior to the pandemic. Over time, the individual will grow a national sales team responsible for the verticals served by Connex.
The VP of Membership Development will both represent the association and act as an advocate for the membership. Responsibilities include:
- Working to identify prospective members and directly soliciting new memberships with a primary focus on membership development across Connex multi-site vertical markets (traditional retail, healthcare, financial, and food and beverage).
- Establishing relationships with key decision makers to ensure membership awareness and ultimate acquisition.
- Increasing Connex awareness and membership across the facility management industry through prospecting, cold calling, written and oral communication, and involvement with other partner associations.
- Visiting and selling to key members and prospective members to ensure recruitment and retention, as needed. Meeting monthly membership acquisition targets and tracking performance to targets.
- Responding to inquiries and calls from members and prospects in relation to requests and questions.
- Representing the association at industry tradeshows, conferences, and exhibits to market the association, as needed.
- Gathering intelligence about target markets (competitive organizations, key relationships, decision makers) and potential members within those targets to better overcome objections to joining the membership.
- Assisting with the new member onboarding process, as needed.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Education and Other Skills
- Four-plus years of experience selling a non-tangible product for a national trade association or membership organization. B2B experience strongly desired.
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or business (or equivalent formal sales training to ensure effective job performance). Professional sales training through an established program highly desired.
- Knowledge of the facility management industry a plus.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills. Polished, professional telephone and email etiquette are a must.
- Able to adhere to all association policies, procedures, and business ethics codes. Acts professionally in all business relationships.
- Proficient in membership database, sales tools, and general office technologies.
- Self-starter: An independent worker with the ability to drive sales, identify and implement new sales approaches, and reach target markets.
- Team player: Someone who can work closely with the Connex team (e.g., shares information about industry topics and members).
- Communicator: A consistent, professional communicator who can engage with all types of personalities at varying organization levels (executive, managerial, coordinator). An outgoing demeanor with a focus on increasing the membership base of the association.
- Advocate: Someone who can act as the voice of the member. Consistently advocates for the needs of members and identifies how Connex can better serve the industry.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current résumé (Microsoft Word® format preferred) to [email protected]. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
Connex is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Susan Scott| Senior Executive Recruiter