hope+door, a rapidly growing nonprofit organization based in Wayne, PA, is seeking an Executive Director (ED). The ED will oversee all aspects of the nonprofit, including fundraising, communications, grants, finance, and program management. The ED will lead this dynamic organization in achieving its strategic goals, expanding its reach, and ensuring its financial and operational sustainability. The ED will work closely with the Board of Directors, manage one staff member, and develop relationships with key stakeholders, donors, and partners.
About hope + door
hope+door is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization focused on preventing homelessness by providing rental assistance to families facing eviction due to unforeseen life events. With a core focus on serving responsible renting families with children aged 15 and under who have experienced no-fault financial emergencies, hope+door strives to help them maintain stability, community involvement, and continuity in education.
hope+door is an initiative of Berger Communities, one of the leading property management organizations that owns and manages multi-family housing communities in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland. As such, during hope+door’s startup phase, the ED receives staff administrative assistance from approximately 15 Berger staff members to support hope+door’s HR, IT, accounting, and marketing functional areas. This Executive Director position will work from the Berger Communities offices in Wayne, PA.
The Executive Director Role
Strategic Priorities for the Executive Director
- Collaborate with the Board to define and execute a clear and ambitious strategic plan in alignment with the organization’s purpose and values.
- Ensure that hope+door achieves its short- and long-term vision.
- Identify and cultivate current and new relationships with donors, philanthropic organizations, partners, other nonprofits, and local/national apartment associations to secure partnership and funding.
- Implement and execute effective fundraising strategies and diversify revenue streams to support the charity’s sustainability.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community stakeholders, volunteers, and beneficiaries.
- Represent the organization at public events, conferences, and meetings to promote its purpose.
- Enhance the organization’s public image and maintain a strong online and offline presence.
- Provide visionary leadership to inspire and guide the team toward the achievement of short-term and long-term goals.
- Recruit and provide mentorship, guidance, and training for volunteer leaders.
- Oversee the grant requests and the delivery of rental assistance to families.
- Monitor and evaluate program outcomes and impact.
- Oversee day-to-day operations including oversight of CRM, ensuring efficient and effective program delivery. Work effectively with the Berger Communities shared services team members who handle IT, HR, marketing, and administrative functions.
- Optimize organizational processes and systems to enhance overall efficiency and impact.
- Develop and manage the annual budget and financial performance, ensuring responsible financial stewardship.
- Recruit, develop, and lead a high-performing team, fostering a collaborative and inclusive work culture.
- Oversight/administration of board/executive/committee meetings.
- Identify and manage other philanthropic efforts.
- Ensure the program(s) achieves stated objectives while maintaining a high standard of ethics.
- Deliver the highest level of teamwork and attention to stakeholders. Consistent, positive, and professional interactions are a must.
Marketing & Communications
- Develop and implement marketing strategies targeting families, individual supporters, and corporate contributors.
- Enhance hope+door’s brand presence and recognition.
- Oversee public relations and communication efforts.
Required Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience. Certifications in fundraising-related field preferred.
- Five years of experience in a nonprofit organization or a startup for-profit company.
- Proven experience in executive leadership roles with a preference for the nonprofit sector or startup company.
- Strong track record of successful fundraising, revenue generation, financial management, grant processing, and donor relations.
- Knowledge of the multifamily housing industry and experience with homelessness prevention preferred.
- Experience with Blackbaud CRM.
- Experience administering budgets/payments.
- Some travel required.
Personal Qualities and Competencies
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and relationship-building abilities.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and follow-up skills. Ability to multi-task effectively in a deadline-driven environment while maintaining strict attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is highly entrepreneurial, both strategic and creative, and which requires rapid learning, multitasking, and prioritizing.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and as a strategic partner in a team environment.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivator with excellent people skills
- Proactive thinker with detail-oriented and creative problem-solving approach, with the ability to step back and understand the “big” picture.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making, and continuous process improvement skills.
- Donor and volunteer service mentality while understanding business.
- Passion for hope+door’s mission and values.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume (Microsoft Word® format preferred) here. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
Sterling Martin Associates is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, political affiliation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.