Chief Executive Officer
The Pennsylvania Apartment Association (PAA) is conducting a search for its Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Based just outside Philadelphia in Bala Cynwyd, PAA represents apartment owners, employees, and management companies, as well as supplier companies, from across the state. PAA is an active member of the National Apartment Association (NAA) and is one of the 10 largest apartment associations in the country.
The new CEO will come on board at a time of growth and transformation for the organization. In January 2020, three NAA affiliates (PAA-West, PAA-Central, and PAA-East) unified to form a single state-wide association. The organization has developed and begun implementing a strategic plan that will run through 2025.
Under the broad direction of the Board of Directors, the CEO is the chief staff officer with overall responsibility for the management of the Association. The CEO recommends and participates in the formulation of new policies and makes decisions within existing policies as they have been approved by the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors. The CEO plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the staff, programs, and activities of the Association to ensure that objectives are attained, plans are fulfilled, and member needs are met.
PAA: An Overview
PAA’s mission is to serve the Pennsylvania apartment industry as the trusted, preeminent resource for all stakeholders and partners through advocacy, education, and collaboration. It has a budget in the $2.5M range and employs a staff of 10 who are based at its Bala Cynwyd headquarters and at satellite offices in Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.
About PAA’s Work
PAA supports its management company members with a range of professional development and educational programs. The Association hosts a number of annual events, trade shows, networking opportunities, and socials that help members develop connections that help advance their businesses. PAA also advocates on behalf of its members at both the local and state levels.
For its supplier members, PAA offers sponsorship options, networking events, and other opportunities that enable them to connect with PAA management company members.
Structure of PAA
PAA is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors, including five directors who serve as the Executive Committee. The organization includes eight committees that guide PAA’s activities.
The CEO Role
Under the general supervision of the Board of Directors, the CEO serves as the catalyst and implementer in assuring the steady progress of PAA. They must be responsive to the multiplicity of member interests, while fostering consensus building within the Association. As the principal staff support to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors, the CEO performs the administrative and managerial functions necessary to efficiently operate the Association in the following specific areas:
Strategy and Governance
- Serving as an ex officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
- Planning, formulating, and recommending for approval by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors general and administrative policies, procedures, and programs. Implementing said documents following approval.
- Implementing the strategic plan and ensuring the achievement of the goals set by the Board of Directors and objectives set by the Executive Committee.
- Executing all decisions of the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors and delegating implementation when appropriate.
- Serving as staff liaison to all committees and assigning other committee and Board liaisons as necessary and appropriate.
Management & Operations
- Managing and administering, on a day-to-day basis, the operations and general affairs of the Association, pursuant to its Bylaws and policies of the Board. Approving expenditures within the limits of the Board-approved budget.
- Hiring, managing, directing, and evaluating the PAA professional staff to accomplish the strategic goals and objectives in each of their respective areas. Assisting the staff in establishing annual goals and objectives. Ensuring that goals and activities to support the Association’s current strategic plan are implemented. Ensuring that functional initiatives are aligned with the strategic plan.
- Creating a culture among staff that encourages and sustains innovation, appropriate risk-taking, trust, and accountability. Encouraging staff to seek new and creative ideas through education, research, and curiosity.
- Executing contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors or established policies.
- In conjunction with the Executive Committee, developing, recommending, and operating within the annual budget. Ensuring that all funds, property, and physical assets of the Association are appropriately safeguarded and administered.
- Ensuring PAA’s fiscal health through prudent financial management of resources.
Membership, External Relations, and Legislation
- Directing the activities of the Association to serve the legislative, educational, and informational needs of PAA members.
- Representing and promoting the rental housing industry before the media, legislative bodies, and other local, regional, and national trade associations—as well as before the membership.
- Leading the Association’s government affairs staff and external lobbyists on legislative messaging and setting legislative priorities.
- Cultivating and maintaining professional relationships and contacts with members, other associations, industry, government, public service organizations, other organizations, and vendors as are desirable or necessary in the best interest and position of the Association and in conformity with the overall objectives and policies of the organization to the greatest degree possible.
- Serving as the principal liaison to the National Apartment Association (NAA) and actively participating in NAA meetings and activities.
- Directing basic management and coordination of the affairs, programs, projects, and activities of the Association in order to provide the proper level of member services.
- Promoting interest and active participation in the Association’s activities on the part of the membership and reporting on PAA activities through regular channels of communication.
- Planning and overseeing all communications to the general membership, which includes newsletters, general mailings, and news releases.
- In coordination with the President and Board, serving as a spokesperson on behalf of PAA.
- Carrying out other general responsibilities as may be delegated by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors.
All qualified candidates will be expected to embrace PAA’s mission to serve members of the multi-housing industry. Qualified candidates will also be expected to present the following:
- Ten or more years of senior-level organizational management experience. Association sector experience preferred. Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation a plus.
- Demonstrated success in a CEO or senior management position highly desired.
- Knowledge of the multi-family housing industry a plus.
- Experience working with a nonprofit/association governing Board to develop strategy and vision.
- Experience managing a revenue budget of at least $1 million.
- Ability to lead the major functional areas of a business, i.e., administration, finance, membership (program/service benefits), tradeshows, government affairs, training/education, publications, insurance, and marketing.
- Ability to assemble, lead, and evaluate a management team that works as one to accomplish PAA’s vision and goals.
- Ability to represent the organization to the external community in a positive manner.
- Ability to travel for business.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or other post-graduate degree preferred.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current résumé (Microsoft Word® format preferred) to [email protected]. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
PAA is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Brian J. Glade | Senior Executive Recruiter