Urban Land Institute (ULI) located in Washington, DC, is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit research and education organization supported by its members. Founded in 1936, they now have over 42,000 members worldwide, representing the entire spectrum of land use, real estate development and related disciplines working in private enterprise and public service. A multidisciplinary real estate forum, ULI facilitates an open exchange of ideas, information, and experience among industry leaders and policy makers dedicated to creating better places. The Urban Land Institute provides leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide. ULI operates with an annual revenue budget of over $70M. They currently have a 17-member Board of Directors and a staff of around 250. Sterling Martin Associates has been retained to assist with this search.
For more information, please visit https://americas.uli.org/.
Vice President, Brand
Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Membership Officer, the VP, Brand, will be responsible for strategic stewardship and oversight of ULI’s global brand and creative marketing efforts. In partnership with other departments, the VP will act as a critical growth driver by developing and executing the strategy through innovative global marketing programs and materials that increase brand awareness, strengthen ULI’s reputation and position, and foster membership growth.
The executive will lead a team of two creative professionals and multiple vendors, while working across departments and programs to deploy a data and insight-driven brand strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate must have strong interpersonal, organizational, and management skills, but at the same time must be able to “see the big picture” and develop and connect ULI branding to strategic and marketing objectives.
- Develop, plan, and execute ULI’s brand strategy across all platforms with a focus on long-term brand vision and positioning.
- Represent the overall ULI brand voice and experience within ULI, at both strategic and operational levels.
- Lead the brand representation as well as overall look and feel, including but not limited to websites, annual report, magazine, brochures.
- Lead the creation and execution of all environmental design for key Global conferences, including the largest premier events such as Fall Meeting, Spring Meeting, Europe Conference, and Asia Pacific Summit.
- Manage production of marketing videos, in close partnership with Communications and other teams; these videos could cover programs of work, events, overall ULI brand as well as philanthropic efforts.
- Provide counsel and support to executive leadership on impact, investment, and communications related to brand marketing efforts.
- Be responsible for the overall direction for Brand team, including oversight and budget.
Requisite Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communication, or another related field.
- 8-10+ years of brand & marketing experience. 5+ years in management role. Should have experience managing and mentoring a team. Experience in mission/impact-oriented organizations preferred.
- Proven experience in a variety of platforms creating and executing comprehensive digital strategies to dramatically improve an organization’s brand presence.
- Demonstrated ability and passion for mobilizing members and communities toward brand loyalty and delivering exceptional brand experiences.
- Ability to multitask and deliver programs across a wide range of priorities. Should possess strong business acumen and project management skills. Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles and methodologies.
- Strong influence and executive presence. Outstanding facilitator of cross-functional thinking to define complex issues, facilitate ideas, influence thinking, and build consensus around decisions and/or effectively lead discussions toward decisions.
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with precision and effectiveness across all levels and functions.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict-resolution skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of ULI.
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive compensation will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume to [email protected]. A well-written cover letter, outlining how your experience fits the requirements of the position, will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
ULI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information or any other protected class.
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
1025 Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing Partner
Katherine Carter| Senior Executive Recruiter